Scheduling Instructions for Referring Vets
We are delighted that you are interested in referring your client to the Veterinary Medical Center. The referral process is simple and provides the referring veterinarian with an option to suit every need.
Option 1: RDVMs may contact us to schedule an appointment on behalf of their client.
Option 2: RDVMs may contact us to make a referral for a particular service. Please be prepared to provide client's name and contact information. We will then contact the client to schedule an appointment.
Option 3: RDVMs may advise clients to contact us to obtain an appointment. We will ask the client to verify that they have been referred by you. We will then contact the RDVM to obtain a referral form.
Option 4: RDVMs may contact our Referral Coordinator between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm at 865-974-3939 to request assistance.
Fax a copy of the completed referral form and copies of recent diagnostic testing results prior to the date of your client’s appointment. Click to download our:
General Referral Policy
One of the primary functions of the University of Tennessee Veterinary Medical Center (UTVMC) is to assist private practitioners in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of unusual or complicated cases. We welcome such cases through referral from a veterinarian or through private consultation as needed.
- Please contact UTVMC Client Services to make an appointment:
- (865) 974-8387
- 8:00AM - 5:00PM
- To discuss medical aspects before arranging an appointment:
- Referral Coordinator (865) 974-3939
- After hours or Emergencies:
- Receiving Clinician (865) 974-8387
Although the receiving and referring veterinarian may have previously discussed a case prior to the animal being seen at the University, it is necessary and in the patient's best interest that a written case history and summary of all previous tests, surgeries and medications be provided at their initial visit on the Referral Form.
When a referred patient arrives, the referring veterinarian will receive an automated arrival notification. The referring veterinarian is encouraged to contact the receiving clinician or the referral coordinator at any time concerning the progress of a hospitalized case. When the patient is discharged, the referring veterinarian will receive via the automated communication system (fax, email or letter, depending on RDVM preference) a copy of the discharge instructions that were given to the client.
Upon discharge, clients are instructed to return the patient to their referring veterinarian for follow-up and other services. There will be times when it is necessary for the patient to return to the VMC for additional care; this will only be done when it is deemed in the best interest of the patient or requested by the referring veterinarian.
- Referral Form - Referral REQUIRED from practicing veterinarian. Please complete and return the small animal referral form.
- Filling out the form - With the Referral form, please provide a summary of pertinent history and diagnostic results including:
- Complete Case History
- Current Medications
- Current Lab Work
- Vaccination Record
- Previous Surgeries
- X-Rays and Imaging
- Getting the form to us
- Standard Referral FAX: 865-974-0174
- Oncology Form FAX: 865-974-5213
- Or mailed to:
UT College of Veterinary Medicine VMC
Attn: Appointment Desk
2407 River Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996-4546
- Radiographs and/or Images- For information about Veterinary Imaging Services (outpatient) vist our Diagnostic Imaging department.
- Email (email@example.com) radiographs/images intended for specific UT clinicians as part of a case consultation or patient referral (not for radiographic study interpretation)
- If you wish to send images via Drop Box, the email is the same.
- Mailing Images:
The University of Tennessee
College of Veterinary Medicine
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
2407 River Drive
C247 Veterinary Medical Center
Knoxville, TN 37996-4544
Attention - SA Referral Coordinator
- All images should be in DICOM format.
- Referral Form - Referral REQUIRED from practicing veterinarian. Please complete and return the Equine Referral Form - Farm Animal Referral Form.
- For non-referral and referral cases, please contact the reception desk in the Large Animal Veterinary Medical Center at (865) 974-8387 for an appointment or for emergency service after normal working hours.
Referral recommended but not required.