The Aslan Intensive Care Unit
The Aslan Intensive Care Unit at the University of Tennessee Veterinary Medical Centers John and Ann Tickle Small Animal Hospital contains state-of-the-art equipment designed to help our team provide advanced patient care. Patients may be admitted to intensive care from any service within the hospital. While hospitalized, the patients are still under direct supervision of their primary doctor and additional oversight is provided by our board-certified criticalist.
Our ICU is staffed 24/7 by a team of licensed veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, and 4th year veterinary students and is also supported by a board-certified criticalist. In addition to this core team, our hospitals many board-certified specialists are available to help develop a treatment plan best suited for our critical patients medical needs. Each patient receives a daily nutritional evaluation; a nutrition plan is then developed by our nutrition service under the direction of our board-certified nutritionists to meet the unique needs of our critical patients.
We provide advanced care of post-operative and trauma cases using the latest techniques in continuous pain management and wound care.
Critical cases supported include:
- renal failure
- liver disease
- oncology cases
- neurologic disorders
- immune-mediated diseases
Our advanced monitoring equipment and services include:
- Snyder oxygen cage therapy, which provides a climate-controlled, stress-free environment for those patients requiring supplemental oxygen therapy
- respiratory ventilators to provide mechanical ventilation
- telemetric wireless ECG, which enables continuous remote cardiac monitoring of the patient
- Abbott digital fluid infusion pumps
- Medfusion portable syringe pumps for constant rate infusions
- closed chest suction units
- patient warming devices
- doppler and oscillometric blood pressure monitoring
- multi-parameter monitors allowing simultaneous and continuous assessment of SPO2, ECG, direct arterial blood pressure and end-tidal CO2.
- blood product transfusions
- tracheostomy care
- total parenteral nutrition
Cageside diagnostics include:
- IRMA blood analyzer providing electrolyte and blood gas analysis, hematocrit and total solid measurement
- canine and feline glucometers
- colloid osmometer