One of the primary functions of the Veterinary Medical Center is to assist private practitioners in
the diagnosis, treatment, and management of unusual or complicated
cases. We welcome such cases through referral from a veterinarian or
through private consultation as needed.
Scheduling Instructions for Referring Veterinarians
Option 1: Contact Client Services to schedule an appointment on behalf of the client.
Option 2: Contact Client Services to make a referral for a particular
service. Please be prepared to provide client's name and contact
information. We will then contact the client to schedule an appointment.
Option 3: Advise clients to contact Client Services to obtain an
appointment. We will ask the client to verify that they have been
referred by you. We will then contact you to obtain a referral
Option 4: Contact our Referral Coordinator between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM at (865) 974-3939 to request assistance.
- To make an appointment, contact Client Services:
- (865) 974-8387
- 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- To discuss medical aspects before arranging an appointment:
- Referral Coordinator (865) 974-3939
- After hours or Emergencies: (865) 974-8387 and ask for the receiving clinician
Fax a copy of the completed referral form and copies of recent
diagnostic testing results prior to the date of your client’s
Download a Referral Form
General Referral Policy
Although the receiving and referring veterinarian may have previously
discussed a case prior to the animal being seen at the University, it
is necessary and in the patient's best interest that a written case
history and summary of all previous tests, surgeries and medications be
provided at their initial visit on the Referral Form.
When a referred patient arrives, the referring veterinarian will
receive an automated arrival notification. The referring veterinarian is
encouraged to contact the receiving clinician or the referral
coordinator at any time concerning the progress of a hospitalized case.
When the patient is discharged, the referring veterinarian will receive
via the automated communication system (fax, email or letter, depending
on referring veterinarian's preference) a copy of the discharge instructions that were given
to the client.
Upon discharge, clients are instructed to return the patient to their
referring veterinarian for follow-up and other services. There will be
times when it is necessary for the patient to return to the hospital for
additional care; this will only be done when it is deemed in the best
interest of the patient or requested by the referring veterinarian.
- Referral Form - Referral REQUIRED from practicing veterinarian. Please download, complete and return the form.
- Filling out the form - With the Referral form, please provide a summary of pertinent history and diagnostic results including:
- Complete case history including medical records from previous 6-12 months
- Current medications
- Current lab work from the previous 6 months or longer if chronic condition
- Vaccination record for proof of vaccine and aid in diagnosis
- Previous surgeries
- Radiographs and imaging (refer to #4 below)
- Getting the form to us:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Standard Referral FAX: (865) 974-0174
- Oncology Consult Form FAX: (865) 974-5213
- Or mailed to:
UT College of Veterinary Medicine VMC
Attn: Appointment Desk
2407 River Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996-4546
- Radiographs and/or images- For information about Veterinary Imaging Services (outpatient only) visit our Diagnostic Imaging department.
All images should be in DICOM format.
- Radiographs and/or images are best sent directly to our picture archiving and communication system (PACS) or sent with the client on CD or hard copy. Email email@example.com to get your clinic connected, so that you can send images directly to the UTCVM PACS. PACS is only for submission of image studies as a part of a case consultation or patient referral, not for radiographic study interpretation.
- Immediately after sending images to the PACS, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the pet, name of the client and pertinent information regarding the reason the images are with UTCVM. A reply email will be sent back to you once we have confirmed the transmission.
- Mailing Images:
UTCVM - Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Attn: Referral Coordinator
2407 River Drive - Room C247
C247 Veterinary Medical Center
Knoxville, TN 37996-4544
- If a patient is being referred by a practicing veterinarian, please download, complete and return the referral form for either Farm Animal or Equine Animal.
- For non-referral and referral cases, please contact the reception
desk in the Large Animal Veterinary Medical Center at (865) 974-8387 for
an appointment or for emergency service after normal working hours.
Referral recommended but not required.