Referring veterinarians can request that a necropsy (animal autopsy) be performed.
Request a Necropsy:
- Necropsy Request Form
- includes a full gross examination and in most cases a microscopic examination
- Faculty veterinary pathologists will perform the necropsy with the assistance of residents (veterinarians training to become pathologists) and veterinary students.
- Gross necropsy findings will be phoned or e-mailed to the referring veterinarian within 48 hours.
- A complete and final necropsy report (including gross and microscopic findings) will be reported within 6 weeks.
- All communications are with the referring veterinarian.
- For legal reasons we are not able to communicate directly with the owners.
- Referring veterinarians should call (865) 974-5673 for a fee list or further information regarding necropsy submissions.
Prices & Fees
- routine necropsies range from $80-150, depending on the size of the animal
- insurance or potential legal cases may cost up to $500
- Rabies testing only (no necropsy) is available for $40
- In all cases, the referring veterinarian is charged for the necropsy and any associated fees.
- It is the referring veterinarian’s responsibility to convey these charges to the owner.
The animal’s remains can be disposed of by chemical cremation at the Veterinary Medical Center or returned to the owner via private cremation (not available for entire large animals >200 pounds).
- Referring veterinarians are responsible for making arrangements with a private cremation service (insert link to options). The Veterinary Medical Center is not responsible for making arrangements or paying any fees incurred by the private cremation service.
In some cases, we can accept necropsy submissions from animals without a referring veterinarian. For more information on these, please call (865) 974-5673.
State Contract Necropsy Service
- All necropsy charges for cattle, sheep and goats from farms in Tennessee are covered by the State of Tennessee. Fetuses and placentas also fall under this contract.
- The Bovine Submission Form should be completed and signed by referring veterinarian.
- The state contract does not include biopsies, field necropsy. Findings from these cases are forwarded to the C. E. Kord Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory
Telephone Numbers and Email
- 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST)
- Monday - Friday
- UTVMC Anatomic Pathology Laboratory
- Biomedical and Diagnostic Sciences
- 2407 River Drive, Room A205
- Knoxville, TN 37996-4543