The Diagnostic Parasitology section added several new test panels in 2015. Collectively, these panels are offered at a substantial savings when compared to individual tests. These changes provide better service for our clients and their patients while keeping costs reasonable.
- Fecal Panel (Zinc and sugar flotation) Routine – This replaces the separate centrifugal “sugar float” and “zinc float” tests. By incorporating both techniques this panel detects all parasite eggs, oocysts, cysts, and larvae that are successfully concentrated using different densities (e.g., SUGAR for Cryptosporidium oocysts, nematode [esp.Trichuris], and tapeworm eggs; ZINC SULFATE for Giardia cysts, fluke eggs and lungworm larvae). As always, the largest reasonable sample that can be submitted (a handful or so) will increase the chance of our successful detection of parasites in your patient.
- Giardia Panel w/Sugar Flotation– The Giardia panel now include both zinc and sugar flotations. This will improve the spectrum of parasites that can be detected as noted above, as coinfections or alternate infections are sometimes detected in animals suspected of having giardiasis.
- Parasitology Test Selection Table
- Comprehensive heartworm panels improve the sensitivity of heartworm testing with an additional Knott’s test evaluation for the presence of microfilariae. This standard is endorsed by the American Heartworm Society and Companion Animal Parasite Council and provides enhanced quality care for your patients. Please see the download for a detailed reference.
Heartworm Panels: Canine and Feline - Routine and Diagnostic
- Heartworm Dirochek™ and Knott’s (antigen and microfilariae)
- Heartworm Idexx SNAP™ and Knott’s (antigen and microfilariae)
- Heartworm Idexx 4Dx Plus SNAP™ and Knott’s (antigen, microfilariae, and antibodies to Borrelia, Anaplasma phagocytophilum/ A.platys, Ehrlichia canis/ E.ewingii)
- Canine Heartworm Verification Panel. Confirmation testing for suspect infections or to evaluate previous positive antigen test. This unique panel is only available from our lab. This includes antigen tests (Dirochek™, Idexx SNAP™ and/or Idexx 4Dx Plus SNAP™) and a Knott’s exam.
- Feline Heartworm Panel This test includes an antigen (Dirochek™) and antibody test.
Telephone Numbers and Email
- 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM (EST)
- Monday - Friday
- UTVMC Clinical Parasitology Service
- Biomedical and Diagnostic Sciences
- 2407 River Drive, Room A233
- Knoxville, TN 37996-4543