UTCVM Facilities & Equipment
The College of Veterinary Medicine contains approximately 18,600 square feet of research laboratory space. These labs contain standard equipment and resources, in addition to the following specialized equipment that is available to all UTCVM investigators:
|CT and MRI||Equine Salt Water Spa||FACS Aria Cell Sorter|
|Linear Accelerator||Microplate Reader||Nandrop 2000|
|Hydrofloatation Tank||Hyperbaric Oxygen Chambers||ImageQuant LAS 4000 mini|
|SmartCycler||Transmission Electronmicroscope||Underwater Treadmills|
University Facilities & Equipment
Graduate and professional students and faculty also have access to core facilities across the university campus, including the following:
|Affymetrix Core Facility||Advanced Microscopy and Imaging Center||Genomics Hub|
|Newton High Performance Computing Program||Sanger Sequencing Core Facility||Biology Service Facility|
|Joint Institute for Biological Sciences|
(includes Spallation Neutron Source)
|Polymer Characterization Laboratory||Johnson Animal Research & Teaching Unit|
|Biological and Small Molecule Mass Spectrometry Core (BSMMSC)|||||
Current UT Core Facilities
OIT’s Research Computing Support Group
- Apps.utk.edu – Windows system with an extensive set of research software, some of which is centrally available only there. With special arrangements, jobs can run multiple days and use up to 24 gigabytes of system memory. Software is listed on the OIT Available Software webpage.
- Statistical Consulting – including assistance with experimental design, sample size determination, web survey design and deployment, data graphics, data analysis, data and text mining, and writing/editing results sections.
- Qualitative Research Consulting – assistance with research design and methodology, data organization and analysis, framework and research question development, and computer-based analysis.
- Science & Engineering Support – assistance with MATLAB, Mathematica, ImageJ, etc.
- Data Management Consulting – includes importing data from a wide range of formats, transforming, merging, concatenating, reshaping, and exporting.
Support for UTCVM Researchers
Faculty and staff at UTCVM have the option to have their grants or manuscripts edited in-house at no charge. The college employs a full-time science editor, Emily Ford, who will copyedit proposals, journal manuscripts, and other scholarly works for language, mechanics, and conformance to agency/journal guidelines, as well as edit substantially for logical flow, clarity, concision, and consistency. She asks that you please allow one week for completion of all editing requests.
Veterinary medicine librarian Jeanine Williamson is available to assist with literature searches and maintains a Research Support web page. She also assists with replace, reduce, refine searches for IACUC protocols.
|Statistical Consulting||Poster & Large-format Printing|
(General information on Large-format Printing)
|Audio & Visual Technology|
(Deb Haines, 4-0989)
|Figure & PowerPoint Design|
(Joy Chambers, 4-8231)
|Technology Transfer, Licensing, & Patents (UT Research Foundation)||Research Software (OIT)|
|Pendergrass Ag/Vet Med Library|||