Online Teaching Option Guides
- Online Teaching Resources
- Includes tips to move online quickly and how-to guides for synchronous & asynchronous sessions
- Contact information for the UTCVM teaching technology team
- Alternative Learning
- Includes free, online modules students may complete in lieu of other assignments, if needed
Who We Are
- Launched in 2008 to meet strategic goals in strengthening teaching programs
- Guiding principle: “Teaching is Job One”
- Part of the Southeastern Veterinary Educator Consortium (SEVEC)
Mission: Provide the resources, programs & leadership that support the highest quality of professionalism & instruction within the various educational missions of the college.
Participation: Built around voluntary & committed participation of core members, with individual sessions open to all faculty & staff. Modeled as a community of practice with the approach of a teaching academy. Goal: Ongoing professional development toward mastery, as opposed to recognition or exclusion. Participants point to the program as particularly useful in improving their teaching methods, materials or communication; their ability to assess students; and the learning environment in their classroom.The program has been highlighted in recruitment of new faculty members and is gaining attention as a model for other institutions.
November 2015: Master Teacher Program awarded the UT Gamma Sigma Delta chapter’s Team Award for its outstanding contribution to teaching in agriculture and related disciplines.
MTP Fundamentals of Classroom Teaching Certificate (self-paced, online)
- Completed via Canvas (must be UT affiliated), participants gain skills and resources to carry out basic instruction in a veterinary classroom setting, including developing learning outcomes, effective lectures, and appropriate written assessments. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Spring/Summer 2022 Schedule (Thursday, 8 am)
All locations online via Zoom unless otherwise noted
|January 20||Feedback 101 and Feedback Focus Campaign Kick-Off||Tom Favale, India Lane|
|February 17||Small Group Learning: Problem- and Team-Based Learning||Lane Anderson, India Lane|
|March 17||Time-Out for Innovations–Perusall in Pharmacology Instruction||Joe Smith|
|April 21||Advanced Small Group Facilitation||Lane Anderson, India Lane|
|May 19||Feedback on the Fly||India Lane (UT), Jo Smith (UGA)|
|July 21||Let’s Talk about Rounds||To be determined|
|August||Workshop||To be determined|
Education Funding Opportunities
Master Teacher Program Organizing Committee
Dr. India Lane, Dr. Dianne Mawby, Dr. Nancy Howell, Dr. Misty Bailey
Upcoming Medical Education Meetings
- International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) meeting, Jun 4–7, 2022, Denver, CO
- Veterinary Educators Collaborative Symposium, Jun 28–30, Kansas State University
- Southeast Veterinary Education Consortium (SEVEC) Veterinary Educators Bootcamp, Jul 18–19, Virtual (hosted by Auburn University)