Online Teaching Option Guides
- Online Teaching Resources
- Includes tips to move online quickly and how-to guides for synchronous & asynchronous sessions
- Contact information for the UTCVM teaching technology team
- Alternative Learning
- Includes free, online modules students may complete in lieu of other assignments, if needed
Who We Are
- Launched in 2008 to meet strategic goals in strengthening teaching programs
- Guiding principle: “Teaching is Job One”
- Part of the Southeastern Veterinary Educator Consortium (SEVEC)
Mission: Provide the resources, programs & leadership that support the highest quality of professionalism & instruction within the various educational missions of the college.
Participation: Built around voluntary & committed participation of core members, with individual sessions open to all faculty & staff. Modeled as a community of practice with the approach of a teaching academy. Goal: Ongoing professional development toward mastery, as opposed to recognition or exclusion. Participants point to the program as particularly useful in improving their teaching methods, materials or communication; their ability to assess students; and the learning environment in their classroom.The program has been highlighted in recruitment of new faculty members and is gaining attention as a model for other institutions.
November 2015: Master Teacher Program awarded the UT Gamma Sigma Delta chapter’s Team Award for its outstanding contribution to teaching in agriculture and related disciplines.
MTP Fundamentals of Classroom Teaching Certificate (self-paced, online)
- Completed via Canvas (must be UT affiliated), participants gain skills and resources to carry out basic instruction in a veterinary classroom setting, including developing learning outcomes, effective lectures, and appropriate written assessments. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Fall 2021 Schedule (Thursday, 8 am)
All locations on Zoom until further notice.
|August 19||Tough Conversations: Sexual Harassment & Title IX|
|September 2 (noon in C215)||IAMSE Webinar–Developing faculty for the future of health professions education||Theresa Chan|
|September 23 (note: 4th Thursday!)||Everything You Always Wanted to Know (but were afraid to ask) about Student Disability Services||David Ndiaye & Lori Smith – UTK SDS|
|September 16 (noon in C215)||IAMSE Webinar–Reminders, refocusing, and rethinking: Med Ed after COVID||Andrew Binks & Adam Weistein|
|September 23 (noon in C215)||IAMSE Webinar–Hybrid health care education: Rethinking student support and innovating for the future||Kendra Gagnon|
|September 30 (noon in C215)||IAMSE Webinar–How COVID-19 transformed online teaching and learning: Or did it?||Jon Wisco, Jaya Yodh, Olivia Coiado, Luke Read|
|October 21||Getting Start with the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning||Chris Kilgore & Amber Giffin – Teaching and Learning Innovation, UTK|
|November 18||Curriculum Mapping, AVMA Accreditation, & Outcomes Assessment, Oh My!||TBD|
Education Funding Opportunities
Master Teacher Program Organizing Committee
Dr. India Lane, Dr. Mee-Ja Sula, Dr. Dianne Mawby, Dr. Nancy Howell, Dr. Misty Bailey
Upcoming Medical Education Meetings
- International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) meeting, Jun 4–7, 2022, Denver, CO
- Lilly Conference–Evidence-Based Teaching & Learning, Nov 2021