Why choose UTCVM Courier Service?
- Hand-off to UTCVM Courier Service personnel for delivery
- Less packaging required
- Samples delivered to UTCVM by 3:00pm on day of pick-up
UTCVM offers a daily courier service for diagnostic submissions to Knoxville, TN and the surrounding areas within a 50-mile radius. In addition to lab samples, veterinary practices may submit MRI scans, ultrasounds, radiographs and necropsies (up to 25 lbs) to UTCVM through our courier service. For necropsies, tertiary packaging is required: inner bag, secondary bag or container with ice, outer container (cardboard or styrofoam box). Pharmacy medication orders can also be delivered to your facility by the courier service.
Request or Cancel Courier Pick-up
- Submit your request through the online VOLVet Portal.
- Requests must be made by the end of your business day to guarantee a next day pick-up.
- Specimens must be prepared and ready for collection prior to the courier’s arrival.
- If samples are not available at the time of pick-up, a service charge will still apply.
Monday through Friday, daily collections begin at 8:00am and samples will be delivered to the UTCVM Diagnostic Laboratory Service by 3:00pm. Turnaround times for test results vary; please consult the Laboratory Manual for details.
Refer to our packaging and shipping guidelines in the Laboratory Manual before sending samples.
Courier Service Fee
Fees for UTCVM Courier Service pick-up are $10.00 or $14.00 depending on the location of your clinic. When you sign in to the VOLVet Portal to submit a request the fee will be noted by your clinic name. Charges for this service will be included on your monthly UTCVM statement.
Diagnostic Laboratory Service Hours of Operation
- Monday – Friday
- 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday AM
- Clinical Pathology and Bacteriology/Mycology operate with limited staff
- 2019 Observed Holiday Closings
- UTVMC Diagnostic Laboratory and Courier Service will be closed on the following dates.
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Spring Holiday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thursday and Friday – Thanksgiving
- December 25
In the event of an emergency, please call (865) 974-8387 to request a call back from the laboratory director for the specific specimen in question.
- Stephanie Boyd
- Director of Referral Services
- (865) 974-5774