Referring veterinarians can request that a necropsy (animal autopsy) be performed. A completed necropsy request is needed from the referring vet before a necropsy can be performed. Primate necropsies are only accepted with pre-approval from a UTCVM pathologist.
Requesting a Necropsy:
- Necropsy request form
- Includes a full gross examination and in most cases a microscopic examination
- Faculty veterinary pathologists will perform the necropsy with the assistance of residents (veterinarians training to become pathologists) and veterinary students.
- Gross necropsy findings will be phoned in or emailed to the referring veterinarian within 48 hours of completion
- A complete and final necropsy report (including gross and microscopic findings) will be reported within 6 weeks.
- Referring veterinarians should call 865-974-5673 for fees or further information regarding necropsy submissions.
Prices and Fees
- Routine necropsies range form $80-150, depending on many factors including the size and type of animal.
- Ancillary testing and disposal charges may be an additional cost.
- Insurance or potential legal cases may cost up to $500
- Rabies testing only (no necropsy) is available for $50
- In all cases, the referring veterinarian is charged for the necropsy and any associated fees
- It is the referring veterinarian’s responsibility to convey these charges to the owner.
Handling of Remains
- We do NOT return bodies to the owners or referring veterinarians
- The animal’s remains can be disposed of at the Veterinary Medical Center or returned to the owner via private cremation (not available for entire large animals >200 pounds).
- Referring veterinarians are responsible for making arrangements with a private cremation service (Yeargan Pet burial, Resthaven, Tri-county pet services). The Veterinary Medical Center is not responsible for making arrangements of paying any fees incurred by the private cremation service.
- Tel: (865) 974-5673
- Fax: (865) 974-5640
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (EST)
- Monday – Friday
- UTCVM Anatomic Pathology Laboratory
- Biomedical and Diagnostic Sciences
- 2407 River Drive, Room A205
- Knoxville, TN 37996-4543