In some cases, we can accept necropsy submissions for animals without a referral from a veterinarian. For more information, please call 865-974-5673.
Please see our Non-referral necropsy information sheet.
INFORMATION & GUIDELINES
We realize the loss of an animal may be a stressful experience, and we are sorry for your loss. Veterinary pathologists perform necropsies (autopsy on an animal) in order to determine the cause of death or the extent of disease. In most circumstances, your veterinarian orders the necropsy.
When you bring your animal in for a necropsy, you will be given a form to fill out with your animal’s medical history, any symptoms you are aware of, and any known information about the circumstances of your animal’s death. The detailed information will aid the pathologist during the necropsy. You will also be asked to provide a contact phone number or e-mail address to receive initial findings and a mailing address to receive the finalized necropsy report. If you decide to use this service, please call prior to dropping off animals for necropsy (865-974-8387). You may also call to receive a cost estimate. You will be asked to pay for any non-referral necropsy service charges at the time of registration.
LEGAL FORENSIC EXAM
While we will accept and perform “legal” cases, please be aware that our pathologists are not specialized in forensic pathology. Should a detailed forensic examination be required, other regional services such as The University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine should be considered. The University of Florida can help decide if a forensic necropsy is needed and can also perform the necropsy. For more information, please visit their website or call (352) 294-4726..
Handling of Remains
- We do NOT return bodies to the owners
- The animal’s remains can be disposed of at the Veterinary Medical Center or returned to the owner via private cremation (not available for entire large animals >200 pounds).
- Owner is responsible for making arrangements with a private cremation service of their choice that will pick up at our facility. Some of these cremation services are listed below:
- East Tennessee Pet Cremation (865) 414-0280
- Continental Pet Cremations (865) 661-7681
- Heavenly Paws Pet Cremation (865) 659-7811
- Yeargan Pet Cremation Services (865) 988-5555
- Resthaven Pet Services (865) 577-2900
- Tri-County Vet Clinic & Services (865) 577-2866
- The Veterinary Medical Center is not responsible for making arrangements or paying any fees incurred by the private cremation service
- Cremation of Remains – Animal’s body will be disposed of after 30 days if Anatomic Pathology is not contacted (865) 974-5673 with a cremation decision or if animal has not been picked up by cremation service.
- Tel: (865) 974-5673
- Fax: (865) 974-5640
- Email: email@example.com
- 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (EST)
- Monday – Friday
- UTCVM Anatomic Pathology Laboratory
- Biomedical and Diagnostic Sciences
- 2407 River Drive, Room A205
- Knoxville, TN 37996-4543